Mold, by definition, is a “tiny living organism that grows wherever it gets enough water to reproduce. It eats the material it grows on. It is able to grow on objects that have small amounts of living material such as dirt, grease or anything organic.”
This can be a host of things in your home, including but not limited to:
carpet, fabric, and upholstery
Mold can be anywhere in the air, both inside and outside your home. When a home is suspected to have an infestation, mold levels are tested outside and inside. Depending upon the levels inside vs. the amount outside determines whether or not you need mold remediation.
What causes mold to grow and thrive is moisture. Without properly drying the area, it takes as little as 48 hours for mold to begin to spread.
Steps professionals use to remove mold
1. Isolate/contain area – mold spores will travel through the air, so before any work begins it is important to contain the area with plastic sheeting so mold spores don’t settle in other parts of the home.
2. Remove affected material – once mold begins to grow, it is usually necessary to remove and dispose of drywall, insulation, molding etc. Contents such as cardboard boxes, furniture, carpeting, clothing is not usually salvageable and therefore is disposed of as well.
3. Clean contained area of any airborne spores – specialized, professional equipment is placed within the containment to get rid of humidity, “scrub” the air of mold and “displace” bad air with good air.
4. Treat with an anti-microbial – this is a special disinfectant used to remove any remaining mold or stains. It is usually a safe, plant-based product.
5. Treat areas by coating with mold suppressing sealant which helps inhibit the growth of mold in the future.
The reason why the process is so intense, is that when you see mold, what you see is oftentimes the tip of the iceberg. Hiring a professional is the best way to make sure that the problem is treated completely and permanently.
Dry Master Restorations is a certified mold removal company who will make your home dry and safe. We are Here To Help… Anytime.